Re: an anecdote who-is-at coercion

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:02:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 pprior who-is-at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu wrote:

> But I wonder how that strategy would play out with say a very loud, very
> physically active boy who went from station to station yelling in other
> kids' faces things like "Hey, what you doin there? What's this for?" and
> sometimes shouldering people out of the way or grabbing their papers or
> other objects?

Paul, I like the point you have raised. And I have seen similar
examples enough to know that often the first approach, after repeated
admonitions and complaints to the parents and complaints to the principal
and to fellow teachers, is to suggest medication - often Ritalin.

Jay's earlier posting when he responded to Judy, describing a
coercion free environment it quite akin to my own ideal. It is the ideal
I work from, and then gradually work in accomodations to the actual
situation.

Of course, with the little girl because she behavior was so quiet
it was easier to get the first grade teacher to accomodate her. But the
fact that the child just walked around the class, observing constantly,
was enough of a deviation from the norm that the teacher's first
consideration was special education.\

The situation of the little boy that you describe is very akin to
most cultural expectations that are expected of boys' behavior. Often,
conversation with the boy and comments about how a large group of people
operate in such a closed space - this is enough for the boy to initiate
change.

I care belief is that every child wants to participate and be
included and experience success and please adults. In fact, I believe
that this is practically a biological imperative. And so I interpret all
children's behavior as approximate attempts to be successful, or as
expressions of frustration because the attempts were not successful enough.
And, while I know that there are always exceptions, I find it most
rewarding to operate from this point of view and be successful within the
constraints of a classroom in a public school which is often a matrix of
competing, sometimes intolerant and argumentative world views.

And, for me, XMCA is always a fabulous oasis of competing and
tolerant world views, from which I find great sustenance. I look forward
to the voices of Joao, Francoise, Arne, Jay, Judy - Genevieve, where
are you? - and now I realize that this list will rattle on like an
academy awards listing. Peter, Eugene! Yes!

So.

Phillip

pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu