Re: direct instruction/ Applebee's curriculum

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:15:35 -0400

>At 07:49 PM 4/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Judy, I don't think Applebee opposes direct instruction. His views on tacit
>knowledge refer to discourse conventions rather than specific strategies for
>accomplishing something. In the book (and elsewhere) he advocates
>instructional scaffolding as a means of teaching particular ways of doing,
>which can be direct.

Peter, I had the impression from reading your review that Applebee
would be in favor of instructional strategies. However, it is especially
with respect to tacit conventions at the level of discourse that I think
explication is needed, partly to economize the acquisition process,
partly to demystify the discourse requirements, and most importantly,
to make the conventions available for questioning & critique.

What do you think?
- Judy

Judy Diamondstone
Graduate School of Education