Re: hi-speed talkers

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:14:15 -0400

Hi, Joao,
you wrote:

> One dificulty of this exercise is to find the correct significance
>of words... The word have several meaning (e.g. is significance or meaning?)
>and who can find these is the native speaker...

Joao, your message reminds me of how much even our native language is
foreign to us, not our own, and requires a constant pursuit for the
"correct significance," a constant struggle to infuse the word
(in Bakhtin's terms) with our own intentions--
How much more difficult across languages, I can barely imagine.

You also said:
> I think what when we are not secure of expressions we "ruminate",
>seeking one mean to speak. These things remember myself of egocentric speech
>- I understand the egocentric speech as one manner of interiorization of
>significance - and this for me is much important because amplify my
>understanding of things and of reality.

Yes, yes! I like your interpretation of egocentric speech as the
interioriazation of significance (the appropriation of word meanings
intimately linked to our "ideological becoming") -- that's what it's
all about (making language opaque and available for transformative
uses).

Thanks....
- Judy

Judy Diamondstone