Re: individual differences

Tom Greening (tgreening who-is-at igc.apc.org)
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 00:35:22 -0800

I don't know that literature, but can suggest one theoretical article that
may be relevant:

Roshchin, Stanislav K. Psychological Problems of the Poliltical
Development of Personality. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Fall 1986,
Vol. 26, No.. 4.

In particular, I remember it discussed the way different cohorts may be
different partly because of the impact of poliltical events that impinged
on them at certain developmental points. An obvious example would be the
impact of World War II, but other events in Soviet history may have had
other formative effects that created significant individual differences.

In that same issue, Sheila Cole wrote about "Soviet Family Clubs and the
Russian Human Potential Movement." Surely the children of followers of
Nikitin should show some measurable differences.

I also recall talking with Alexei Matyushkin when he was at the Institute
for Pedigogical Psychology about efforts to train teachers to assess and
develop the unique potentials of children. He edited "Voprosi Psikologii"
so I imagine there may have been articles about such programs there.

At 11:23 AM 4/6/96, Mike Cole wrote:
>Dear Colleagues--
>
>A group of American psychologists have been inquiring of me about the
>treatment of individual differences in Russian Psychology during the
>Soviet period, including, particularly, the treatment of these issues
>within cultural historical and activity theory approaches. Can anyone
>provide good references? Are there Russian articles in this area that
>need to be translated?
>mike cole

Tom Greening
Suite 205