Re: Freire and monologism

Robin Harwood (HARWOOD who-is-at UConnVM.UConn.Edu)
Fri, 05 Apr 96 07:15:54 EST

Jay wrote:
>But ultimately, whether discourse is one-person-speaking or
>an audible public exchange is not the point (in the Bakhtinian
>perspective as I interpret it) as to whether it is monological
>or dialogical. A monologue (in form) can be dialogical (in
>voicing). Does it construct a single, self-imposing viewpoint?
>is it an attempt to dominate and de-humanize (in Freire's

Jay, I'm a little confused by the practical implications of
your statement here. Does this mean that it does not matter
whether or not students participate verbally in a classroom
context? That what matters is that we frame our lecture-monologues
in some way that somehow invites silent participation on the
part of the students? If so, how do we define and understand
this silent participation? How do we know whether or not students
are indeed participating?

Robin