Re: beyond democratic class

 ()
1 Apr 1996 21:28:28 +1000

Reply to: RE>>beyond democratic class/conference reports

01.04.96, Joao wrote:
I agree with Bernstein and Bourdieu about symbolic control, but, in the
Brasil, the control is economic: the pupil discrimination is based in the
social class...

Joao, I think that Bernstein's analysis also suggest that social class
relations are the primary basis of discrimination, though by no means
exclusively and not in the same way in different arrangements for the social
division of labour. In my first note I was thinking of the particular
discursive effects on the construction of 'democratic' education of relations
between the home background of children coming from families who hold
positions in the field of symbolic control, and extensive opportunities in
school to make decisions about the contents, classifications and control of
the curriculum.

Incidentally, on Mike's general request for people to report on conferences,
there is a conference in Australia in mid-May, convened by Frances Christie,
at which Bernstein and several people working with systemic functional
linguistic theory will discuss relations between BB's sociology, including his
theory of the pedagogic device and the production of specific forms of
pedagogic discourse, and linguistic theory. The linguists will include Hasan,
Christie, Martin, Cloran, Veel and Williams. Some details of the conference
are available through the Sydney University English Department Homepage:
http://www.arts.su.edu.au/Arts/departs/english/home.html (with apologies for
the typos I've just noticed!).

Geoff Williams.