Re: Vygotsky conference abstracts

smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Sat, 30 Mar 96 10:06:53 -0600

In the 50's Ben Bloom studied students' engagement during lectures and
discussions through a stimulated recall procedure, and found that they were
more likely to be paying attention during discussions (I forget the exact
percentages--actually, neither was impressively high). The reference is:
Bloom, B. (1954). The thought process of students in discussion. In S. J.
French (Ed.), Accent on teaching: Experiments in general education (pp.
23-46). New York: Harper.

Also, Csikszentmihalyi has conducted studies in which students respond to
beepers during various activities and report on their levels of
engagement--listening to adults talk got very low scores among high school
students in various studies, such as:
Csikszentmihalyi, M, & Larson, R. (1984). Being Adolescent. NY: Basic Books.

Csikszentmihalyi also told me something over the phone--so I may be slightly
off on the details--about a study that he reports in Csikszentmihalyi,
Rathunde, & Wahlaen (1993) Talented teenagers. NY: Cambridge UP: In an
honors history class where the teacher was lecturing about Genghis Khan's
invasion of China, kids were beeped to report on their levels of engagement.
Of the 27 students in the class, only 2 were thinking about China; and of
those two, one was thinking about Chinese food and the other was wondering
why Chinese men wear their hair in ponytails.

Sounds like most of my experiences when being lectured to!

Peter

At 08:55 PM 3/29/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Has anybody actually experimentally demonstrated the widely
>asserted claim that live lectures are no better than textbooks
>or multimedia lectures or videotaped lectures? The truth of
>this claim is not at all obvious to me, and before putting a
>lot of ourselves and our colleagues out of work, we should at
>least test it.
>
>Phil

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061
smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu