Re: power independent of context?

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 19:55:10 -0800

Hello everybody--

Mike Cole asked me the question below in regard to the Margarita Azmitia's
research about expert kids monopolizing the joint activity from novice kids
even when "novices" are no less skillful than "expert" kids.

At 08:32 PM 3/6/96 -0800, Mike Cole wrote:
>Is that the message, Eugene? That no matter what the context,
>expert kids will exclude novice kids?
>mike

Mike, Margarita might sound as if the context (institutional, cultural, or
situational) does not matter. But I am not sure that she thinks that way.
>From my experience and observation of the innovative school in Utah that
Barbara Rogoff, Cindy White and I are studying, I doubt that institutional
context of schooling does not play a role in this phenomenon. Also, from
what I've heard about a Mayan community from my colleagues Pablo Chavajay
and Barbara Rogoff, I doubt that this phenomenon is the case in this
community. I am not sure either if in Japanese community it would be a
case. However, I expect to observe this phenomenon in many (but not all)
so-called middle-class Western communities including many Russian communities.

Any thoughts?

Eugene Matusov
UC Santa Cruz

Eugene Matusov