Re: azmitia results

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Wed, 06 Mar 1996 19:25:47 -0800

Hello everybody--

I re-sent the current discussion on power relations between novice and
expert to Margarita Azmitia (who is not a xmca-er yet) and here is her response.

"no, this power study was not run in a school because I wanted to see
if the school context had made the little experts take on the "teacher
script"

the kids aren't even told to teach, they are told to work together, but
its a visual task (copying lego models) so kids soon perceive who is
more knowledgeable and the dominance of whose in control takes over.

these are young kids (kindergartener age kids) who knew each other from
a parks and recreation summer program at a local park.

(and that's were they were recruited and tested, since the park has
a community room).

but I did do a condition in schools and got the same effects, so it
isnt the setting that was eliciting this power script, at least not
obviously so.

... feel free to do whatever you
want with this response to your message.

margarita"
---------------
Eugene Matusov
UC Santa Cruz

At 11:56 AM 3/5/96 -0800, Mike Cole wrote:

>Hi Keith-- OMargarita's results sound interesting, but surely must
>depend upon the way the activities are framed. Was the study run
>in school? (Etc.). I guess, in terms of the discussion of power,
>the relation of power to context seems more than a little relevant.
>mike

Eugene Matusov
UC Santa Cruz