LINDA PEARO / Public Education

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:46:31 -0500

Linny wrote:
>...I need to know more about the application of
>post-modernist cultural theory and its relationship (or lack of) to public
>education. I find post-modernist theory intriguing, but confusing. How do
the various tenets of both SUPPORT and DISTORT the endeavor to teach and
practice democratic ideals as they relate to education? Please respond if
you are so disposed. There seems to be no one up here I can engage in
>discourse . . . their eyes just glaze over. Linny

What about _The Saturated Self_ by ?? Gergen - a description and
discussion of experience in a post modern world. I haven't read it
but it's been recommended to me.
I assume Linny is familiar with Aronowitz & Giroux's _Postmodern
Education: Politics, Culture & Social Criticism_ (1991).... I
recommend Linda Nicholson's (Ed.) _Feminism/Postmodernism_, 1990,
Routledge, for readable discussion of leading issues.

- Judy
Judy Diamondstone
diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University