Re: orchestration/culture

Ellice A Forman (ellice+ who-is-at PITT.EDU)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 16:02:11 -0500 (EST)

Mike, Judy and others,
I've been using the notion of orchestration myself to characterize the
part that a teacher may play in classroom discourse. Your suggestion
that we think of a variety of metaphors to characterize the "morphology
of activities" reminded me of Nira Granott's work on peer collaboration.
She has several metaphors--from apprenticeship to asymmetric
counterpoint, etc. (actually 9 in all from a recent article).
Ellice
Granott, N. & Gardner, H. (1994). When minds meet: Interactions,
coincidence and development in domains of ability. In R.J. Sternberg &
R.K. Wagner (Eds.) "Mind in context: Ineractionist perspectives on human
intelligence" (pp.171-201). NY: Cambridge University Press.