Announcement from NSF concerning government shutdown

psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu
Wed, 24 Jan 96 11:53:27 -0600

Another forwarded message concerning NSF funding:

>The Office of the Vice President for Research received the following
>announcement:
>

>NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
> Office of the Director
> ARLINGTON, VA 22230
>
> January 19, 1996
>

> Dear Colleague:
>
> The National Science Foundation is now emerging from the longest work
> stoppage in its history, almost four weeks resulting from the partial
> shutdown of the Federal government for three weeks and the blizzard that
> followed immediately thereafter. During the shutdown, NSF's allowable
> activities were strictly circumscribed. No proposals were logged into
>our
> systems; program officers neither sent requests for nor received
>reviews;
> review panels did not meet; and we were unable to obligate funds for
> new or continuing awards. We were able, thanks to an OMB decision
> made after the shutdown began, to process requests for funding to
> existing awards that were based on prior obligations.
>
> Because the time period of the shutdown occurred during semester
> breaks for many academic institutions, NSF's shutdown may have had
> little apparent impact. The attached Important Notice 96-01 describes
> some of the impact we expect our partnering institutions to experience
> within the next six to nine months. The Important Notice covers
> effects of the shutdown itself as well as the uncertainties related to
> operating for almost one-third of Fiscal Year 1996 on successive
> continuing resolutions. We still have no Fiscal Year 1996
> appropriation, and cannot at this point guess when we might have one.
>
> The combined effects of the extended shutdown and the uncertainty about
> our Fiscal Year 1996 budget are severe. We have only a prorated
> portion of our estimated Fiscal Year 1996 funds available to us, which
> limits our ability to meet commitments in a timely way. Planning for
> this year and next has been complicated by the budget unknowns.
>
> In all of this, NSF staff are committed to minimizing the damage to
> science and engineering and permitting the researchers and educators
> we support to continue with their work uninterrupted. But however
> heroic staff efforts may be, NSF cannot conduct business as usual.
> The time period we have lost is one that is critical to the smooth
> functioning of the proposal review process, and we can expect delays
> in award actions. Some continuing awards have already experienced a
> brief funding hiatus due to the shutdown.
>
> We are confident that we will have your cooperation in coping with
> this unusual situation. To that end, we will keep you apprised of our
> planning as the situation evolves. We thank you in advance for your
> patience and understanding. Please communicate this information to
> interested faculty and staff.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Neal Lane Anne C. Petersen
> Director Deputy Director

> [...]
Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061
smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu