Re: cultural rituals and social change

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 18:02:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Judy,
Thanks for the interesting stories and your critical points!
Hm... what to say... we seem to be focusing on different levels of
things...

pessimist, realist, or idealist? How to persuade those in power to
effect soical/political change? Such big questions in life... I have the
slightest idea of how to answer those questions...

but to clarify a bit... it's Confucius's contemporaries who thought
Confucius was trying to do something close to impossible, as a way of
laughing at him... what did Confucius think? Who is to say what is
possible and what is not? And what is the social responsibility of a
human being? I still believe in this somewhat naive saying: We become
what we believe we can be...

Yes, I'd like to go back to activity theory for some insights, too... can
someone pick up the discussions and pursue this thread or other threads?

Thanks, and cheers,
Angel