Re: Anglicized Cantonese :

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 16:56:33 -0500 (EST)

Thanks very much Phillip for your helpful response and sharing with me
your observations... there do seem to be some common patterns across
different situations, as Rolfe mentioned in another message.

Yes, incorportaing English words into Cantonese speech is a middle class
marker in Hong Kong, but this form of speaking can be seen as "showing
off", or "baahn-yeh", meaning "acting" among working class people
(here, I find Bourdieu's "impostor" notion rather useful).

The children are 12-14, they are from working
class families and communities who speak Cantonese only. I find that
they do not see using English as "prestigious"... they avoid it the best
they can because of peer norms against the use of it... Paul Willis'
description of working class children's identity and doing resistance seems
to be relevant here... but I've been trying to work out something more subtle...

Thanks very much for sharing with me your thoughts! It has been helpful
talking my stuff out and getting your responses!

Angel