Re: Request for interesting story book series for ESL students

Judy (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 12:53:36 -0500

Angel,
The following is less interesting than Geoff Williams' references, but may
nevertheless be of use -- NCTE publishes "High interest easy reading"
booklists for high school students, which are available from NCTE in Urbana,
IL. The one I saw was published in 1988; I'm sure you could get a more
recent list. Many of them are in the American-adolescent-realist-fiction
genre ("sensitive" stories about characters in search of Identities, often
slanted towards commentary on contemporary gender/race/ethnicity/sexuality
etc. issues; also fantasy & science fiction; mystery), but non-narrative
texts are listed as well, on topics like technology, sports, "women of
strength"....
I also mentioned your request to Dorothy Strickland, who referred to Dr.
Junk Yokota as an expert on Asian children's literature, and may be a
helpful resource for you -- her office number at National Louis University
in Evanston, IL:
(708) 256-5150 ext. 2390.

-Judy