Radical, reflexive approaches (Re: history and us

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 01:23:40 -0500 (EST)

Jay raised very practical points about how we approach history and our own
academic/research work in our disciplines... I've been greatly attracted
to Bourdieu's critical sociological analyses, but Jay raised a
very critical point: where has his work come from? What social/economic
position does he occupy? Whose (historcial, sociological) accounts are
his accounts? Presumably, we could (and should?) all ask of ourselves
similar questions... so one can ask, what position does Jay Lemke
(others, oneself...etc.) occupy? Such a reflexive approach is a
"soul-searching", radical, reflexive one, isn't it?

I've heard of Garfinkel's new developments in his ethnomethodological
work, e.g., radical, relfexive studies o academicf disciplines... but I've
been too tied-up with my dissertation work to have followed up on his latest
works... Anyone fill in the gaps?

Angel