Re: Dewey, friendship, and . . problem solving ???

Ana M. Shane (pshane who-is-at andromeda.rutgers.edu)
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 23:07:12 -0500

Hi Eduard and everyone!
I was just transcribing and translating some examples of children's
metaphors when I read Eduard's posting. This may strike you as an unusual
hybrid but here we go:

Eduar wrote:

>I take a certain amusement in seeing how science permeates even the arts
>and religion. After all we have "science fiction," Horror films now seek
>to be more "realistic" (scientifically plausible?) and the art of special
>effects is an art mimicking scientific imagery. More amusing is the
>systemizing of religion. We now all need our own spirituality (as if
>religion could be dispensed like a multi-vitamin.) There is renewed
>interest in the healing power of crystals and other matters of alchemy
>(proto-science.) There is a search for mechanisms like energy flows and
>psychic power. Even in our attempt to break out of the mold of science,
>we sheepishly cling to some of its precepts.
>
>Certainly some food for thought. If we can't break away from a paradigm
>it is our most urgent goal, what chance do we have when we seek to
>straddle the line between critiquing the scientific paradigm and
>conducting scientific inquiry?
>
>Edouard

Here is a possible answer given in the following example:

The event took place in the 1950s in Belgrade. A 5 year old boy came home
crying. His mother asked him why was he crying. He said:
"You lied to me!"
Mother was surprised and asked: "What did I lie to you about?"
"You lied to me about babies being born from mothers! This is not true!
Everybody says that storks bring babies!" said the boy still sobbing.
The mother, an emancipated woman, a physician herself, explained to the boy
that some people are still telling children this myth about storks because
they are ashamed to tell them the truth. But in reality, the story she told
him about babies, how are they concieved and born from a mother, that story
is really true.
This made the boy cry even more.
The mother asked him why is this making him cry.
He said: "I know that your story is true, but the story about storks
bringing babies is so much more beautiful!"

Ana

Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
(215) 843-2909 [voice] (215) 843-2288 [fax] (h)
(215) 685-4767 [voice] (215) 685-5581 [fax] (w)
pshane who-is-at andromeda.rutgers.edu