Reader's Digest

Mike Cole (mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 13:47:22 -0700 (PDT)

>From jsbissel who-is-at uci.edu Mon Oct 23 09:01:06 1995
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 09:00:55 -0700
>From: "Joan Bissell" <jsbissel who-is-at uci.edu>
To: mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: UCSB Budget desires

Hello Mike,

The DeWitt-Wallace Reader's Digest Fund is a good potential source of outstide
funds. The Program Officer is Donna Dunlop. I'll FAX the relevant pages of a
recent annual report to you if you could e-mail your FAX # to me. Donna knows
Manuel and me and is likely to be enthusiastic about your systemwide initiative
which may fit into the DeWitt-Wallace priorities.

Joan B.

In message <199510212307.QAA02980 who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu> Mike Cole writes:

> Hi Richard--
>
> We are currently struggling to complete arrangements for the
> rest of our visits around the campuses but we can discuss visiting
> plans on Monday when you come to UCSD.
> Your budget wish list should be helpful to all in thinking bout
> how to put together a coordinated proposal. The rule of thumb I have been
> using is that people should make two assumptions:
>
> 1. That approximately 80% of all costs be born by different parts of the
> local campus.
>
> 2. That whatever requests are made for a temporary (3 year) provision of
> outside funds, the local campus and community make those requests in a
> way where there is a realistic chance that permanent funds will be provided
> after three years.
>
> As an exercise, perhaps you could break out your requests in light of
> these assumptions.
> mike
>
> PS- I am already starting discussions about where to go for funds outside
> of UC for the effort, but that will fall flat without a big display of
> our coordination and committment locally.

Joan S. Bissell, Ed.D. Berkeley Place, Suite 245
Senior Lecturer Irvine, CA 92717-5500
Department of Education Phone: 714-824-7466
University of California at Irvine Fax: 714-824-2965