Re: participant observer

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 03:04:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Katherine and fellow XMCAers,

Thanks Katherine for sharing with us your interesting work!
Just some tentative responses here...
perhaps you might want to ask questions like:

How might your different status at different times have affected your
interactions with other members of the course and/or the way the activities
were organized?
e.g., the role-relationships, expectations about rights and obligations
(or expectations about appropriate behaviour) among you and
other participants?

But this also might have to do with your aim in doing
the observations and the recording of the actions and activities of the
group of which you're a part. Did your aim change as you went through
the different phases? Did your own perspective or emphasis change as a
result of what you experienced...? And it seems that an organizing
question might be to ask: What am I after? There seems to be a
dialectical relationship here: your presence and what you're after shape
what you come to see and describe; and what you come to see and
describe at one moment shapes what you're after and yourself at the next
moment... This is really a very crude way of putting it ...

I guess Martin would be able to fill us in with some of the concepts of
the hermeneutic circle between the researcher and her/his data... would
you take this up, Martin?

Thanks, and best,
Angel
Angel M.Y. Lin
Doctoral Candidate
Modern Language Centre
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
252 Bloor St. W., Toronto, ON M5S 1V6, Canada
E-Mail: MYLIN who-is-at OISE.ON.CA