[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Re: Отв: Re: Отв: Re: Отв: Re: Object oriented activity and communication

Voloshinov begins his discussion on pp. 88-89 of Marxism and the Philosophy
of Language with the simple idea that the "I experience" of hunger is one
end of a pole, the end we share with animals, one which cannot be
communicated and ultimately leads to self-extinction, either when food is
provided or the experiencer dies of inanition. As far as we know, this
experience is undifferentiated: it is felt but not apperceived (that is,
the feeling of feeling it is not felt; it is "live" but not "life o'er
lived", "zhivanie" but not "perezhivanie").  At the other end of the pole
is the "we experience" which is necessarily differentiated because it is
over-lived differently by people of different classes--the vagabond sullen
and envious in hunger, the mystic fasting sententiously unto death, the
peasant resigned and blaming the weather, and finally the proletarians who
reject hunger altogether precisely because they have the obscene sight of a
satiated boss and family before them and starving children at their side.
(Voloshinov also says that there are human sexual experiences at both
poles, but he refers us to pp. 135-136 of his book on Freudianism, and my
English edition doesn't have a p. 135.)

Brecht discusses how to convey this operatically (because of course Brecht
was a big fan of Chinese opera, and met the diva Mei Lanfang in Moscow,
where Eisenstein was putting his work on film in the attached). He wonders
why the Biblical phrase "pluck out the eye that offends thee" is so much
more "gestic" and horrifying the way that it is translated into German by
Martin Luther ("If thine eye offend thee...pluck it OUT!"). I think this is
the "indexicality" that Greg is really interested in: not the pure "I
experience" of sensation but the way that "I experience" goes out to "we
experience" and then returns to an "I experience" and alchemically
transforms it into something new, wine from water. It's not primordially an
"I experience" but an "I experience"  which is now an individuation of a
social emotion. Brecht describes how workers parading through Berlin on
Christmas eve are chanting "Wir haben HUNG-ER!" and some of them actually
supplement this with "Helft euch sel-ber, wahlt Thalmann!" ("Help
yourselves--vote Thalmann", the then candidate of the German Communist
Party).

Incredibly, I just discovered that this is actually a children's song:

We have hunger, hunger, hunger
Have hunger, hunger hunger
Have hunger, hunger hunger
Have thirst.

If we don't get something, get, get, get
We'll eat flies, flies, flies
We'll eat flies, flies, flies
>From the wall.

If they don't taste good, taste, taste
We'll eat snails, snails, snails,
We'll eat snails, snails, snails,
>From the forest.

If they don't last, last, last
We'll eat corpses, corpses, corpses
We'll eat corpses, corpses, corpses
>From the grave.

If they don't suffice, suffice, suffice
We'll eat snakes, snakes, snakes
We'll eat snakes, snakes, snakes
>From the forest.

(Notice that the tendency of German and French to make pains and lacks into
virtual entities that you can possess and be dispossessed of makes the song
much more gestic and indexical, because it allows parallelism of "hunger"
with "flies", "snails", "corpses" and "snakes".. Note also that it would be
far more gestic to put the verse about corpses at the end...)

David Kellogg

(In this clip, Eisenstein films Mei Lanfang showing us the great heroine
Mui Guiying who challenges an enemy general to battle and falls in love
with him mid-struggle. Notice how much you can understand "gestically"..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlf5LW_nrQ

dk