[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: [COGDEVSOC] Call for application for PhD student - MPRG iSearch

Simangele Mayisela simangele.mayisela@wits.ac.za
Mon Mar 15 12:12:53 PDT 2021

Hi Prof Michael Cole

Pertaining to the advert, I found the content amusing, I didn’t know there are theories curiosity. I would like to read more about them. But I however had a hunch curiosity can be theorised. In a small way, I have included the curiosity concept in the  paper I am writing for a newspaper (see attached). You may like to have a look at it.

Regards,
S’ma
Dr Simangele Mayisela
Senior Lecturer
Educational Psychologist
simangele.mayisela@wits.ac.za<mailto:simangele.mayisela@wits.ac.za>

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Monday, 15 March 2021 18:50
To: XMCA <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Fwd: [COGDEVSOC] Call for application for PhD student - MPRG iSearch

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: isearch <isearch@mpib-berlin.mpg.de<mailto:isearch@mpib-berlin.mpg.de>>
Date: Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 7:41 AM
To: cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org<mailto:cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org> <cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org<mailto:cogdevsoc@lists.cogdevsoc.org>>

Apologies for cross postings.

----------------------

Dear Cognitive Development Society,

the Max Planck Research Group iSearch - Information Search, Ecological and Active Learning Research with Children - at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development,
Berlin, Germany, under the direction of Prof. Dr. Dr. Azzurra Ruggeri, seeks applicants for a PhD student on Active Learning and Theories of Curiosity in Humans and Machines.
Deadline is March 20th, after that applications will be considered on a rolling basis.

The Max Planck Research Group iSearch - Information Search, Ecological and Active Learning Research with Children takes an interdisciplinary approach to study information
search, ecological and active learning from a cognitive developmental perspective. We are looking for a candidate to join our lab, working on theories of curiosity in children, humans and machines, starting in April 2021 (starting date is negotiable). This position is part of the bigger project “Towards a Science of Curiosity” funded by the Volkswagen Foundation and involving 3 PIs, 3 PhD students and a postdoctoral student.

The ideal candidate needs to hold (or expect by Spring 2021) a diploma/master degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science or related disciplines. Experience in using behavioral
observational and experimental methods both in the field and in the lab setting with toddlers and young children is essential. Experience in studying children’s information
search and active learning is desirable, as well as knowledge of behavioral coding programs (e.g., Datavyu) and statistical methods and softwares (e.g., R). The doctoral position will last until February 2024 with the option of a one-year extension.

To apply, please read the attached information. For further inquiries about the position, please contact Prof. Dr. Dr. Azzurra Ruggeri (ruggeri@mpib-berlin.mpg.de<mailto:ruggeri@mpib-berlin.mpg.de>) or the MPRG iSearch lab manager (isearch@mpib-berlin.mpg.de<mailto:isearch@mpib-berlin.mpg.de>).

Best,
Laura Ziemann
MPRG iSearch Lab manager

Max-Planck Institute for Human Development
iSearch - Information Search, Ecological and
Active Learning Research with Children
Lentzeallee 94<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.google.com/maps/search/Lentzeallee*94**A0D*0A14195*Berlin?entry=gmail&source=g__;KyslJSs!!Mih3wA!WcWf0kXMzs4W76leCG2OSs1kxg4NHs9eF-sjtIxxy4bbHI4xt6aCNJgaE5ht-VSlCOaYDg$>
14195 Berlin<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.google.com/maps/search/Lentzeallee*94**A0D*0A14195*Berlin?entry=gmail&source=g__;KyslJSs!!Mih3wA!WcWf0kXMzs4W76leCG2OSs1kxg4NHs9eF-sjtIxxy4bbHI4xt6aCNJgaE5ht-VSlCOaYDg$>
Phone: +49 (0) 30 824 06 - 235
E-Mail: isearch@mpib-berlin.mpg.de<mailto:isearch@mpib-berlin.mpg.de>
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de__;!!Mih3wA!V49zGSbvgFYQE4coT5iV84bIuQz3oPnJG9b3EiB53XKsMpkSPxu72PWoZRqgoQgUzgPBgg$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de__;!!Mih3wA!WcWf0kXMzs4W76leCG2OSs1kxg4NHs9eF-sjtIxxy4bbHI4xt6aCNJgaE5ht-VRuwlhNpA$>

P Before printing think of our ENVIRONMENT