[Xmca-l] Re: Children's Literature- N. A. Dobrolyubov - The Importance of Authority in Education

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:09:59 PST 2021

Ulvi--

I know you dig music. Well, take a little listen to this, trying very hard
to ignore the charming acting and the exquisite tunes (I know, I know, it's
like eating halvah and trying to ignore the taste....)

Anna Netrebko sings Mussorgsky's Detskaya (The Nursery), Valery Gergiev
conducts the RPhO - YouTube <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzW_x1IRho__;!!Mih3wA!W8tezItWn9iuvooZVWeUtxW0DnQQ_ll00mc2lIOc_9lir273sbYKU26ibOs7AYTxk-4xzQ$ >

It's a very young Anna Natrebko (directed by a youngish Valery Gergiev)
doing Mussorgsky's "The Kindergarten". The kindergarten sequence actually
ends with the evening prayer (around 9:00 minutes in) and the rest of the
performance is the child's memories of summer at a Dacha (Sailor the Cat
trying to eat a bird, and visiting friends and stubbing a toe....)  But you
can see that the Nanny throughout is using the kinds of "bogeyman" threats
that Dobrolyubov is discussing here--and the fun of hte music is that the
child is more entertained than educated....more interested in the taste of
dessert than the supposed nourishment!

Vygotsky does include this kind of critique (including the bogeyman) in his
very early chapter on ethical behavior in the Educational Psychology
(1926). But he doesn't cite either Dobrolyubov or Pirogov; I think a lot of
these ideas were just "in the air" around the time that Mussorgsky was
writing the "The Kindergarten" (1868, i.e. ten years after "Problems of
Life" and "Children's Literature") and they were still there when Vygotsky
was writing the chapter.

Actually, Dobryulobov seems kind of muddled and even reactionary: he's very
religious, he holds up Voltaire as a kind of bogeyman and a lot of the
ideas he is attacking (e.g. use of force, blind obedience) are right there
in Rousseau's "Emile".

I am trying to decide if Vygotsky believes in individual free will at all.
He is, as he says in the notebooks, Spinozian if not Spinozist. It seems to
me that individual free will doesn't exist--humans exercise free will only
in recognizing mutual necessity (what Andy calls solidarity). That
Spinozian (but not Spinozist) tenet is the kernel of truth in all the
bogeyman stories that Nanny tells Mishenka. But it's as much in the taste
as in the nourishment.....

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University
,

New Article with Song Seon-mi in Early Years:

Un-naming names: Using Vygotsky’s language games and Halliday’s grammar to
study how children learn how names are made and unmade

Some free e-prints available at:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/2C9HCKGJEYNVEKUGHYKV/full?target=10.1080*09575146.2020.1853682__;Lw!!Mih3wA!W8tezItWn9iuvooZVWeUtxW0DnQQ_ll00mc2lIOc_9lir273sbYKU26ibOs7AYRGsAhroA$

New book forthcoming in 2021:

L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works, Vol. II: The Problem of Age.
Translated with Prefatory Notes and Outlines by Nikolai Veresov and David
Kellogg