[Xmca-l] Re: The Problem of Teaching and Mental Development at School Age

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 13 08:56:32 PST 2021

Its great to see another translation of this important paper, Andy. Thanks
for publishing. The issue of translation
remains important, 40 years after the appearance of the essay in *Mind in
Society*. For those interested in these matters,
see attached article by me on the term, obuchenie, which is translated here
as teaching, and which I now translate as
instruction. Also attached is an article by Alex Kozulin of the same
article that may be of interest.

To me these issues are a lot more than nit picking. They speak in this case
to the distinction between learning and development
that Anglo-Americans have missed, but which is crucial to LSV's project.

mike

--

I[image: Angelus Novus] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus_Novus__;!!Mih3wA!UdwGMvueIp5ycwybWnEbEJAAJOmfNDWExLEYvXCgc_vUge_2f4UZa9ZT4TUT3b5MHveswg$ >The
Angel's View of History

The organism, by its life activities, creates what is outside.  So
organisms create the conditions of their own future
which is different from their past" Richard Lewontin

Cultural Praxis Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://culturalpraxis.net__;!!Mih3wA!UdwGMvueIp5ycwybWnEbEJAAJOmfNDWExLEYvXCgc_vUge_2f4UZa9ZT4TUT3b6UCcjUug$
Re-generating CHAT Website: re-generatingchat.com
Archival resources website: lchc.ucsd.edu.
Narrative history of LCHC:  lchcautobio.ucsd.edu.