[Xmca-l] Re: Rio Tinto Zinc

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sat Sep 12 19:16:48 PDT 2020

I think the entire country was struck speechless when we
learnt that a site - with 47,000 year old cave art and human
remains which were 8,000 years old, genetically found to be
ancestors of the people living in the area today - were
bulldozed for the sake of a small sum of money it would have
cost to carry on their mining with a different approach. And
we learnt that they had a long list of other ancient sites
which they planned to destroy in the future, and that it was
all approved by the State government and legal within
Federal government legislation. All legal! And their lawyers
had worked extremely deviously to make it legal, getting the
formal approval of the local PKK people who could not
possibly have understood what they were signing, and then
they waiting about 8 years before moving in without warning
with bulldozers. It is utterly unspeakable and shameful and
extremely distressing.

As soon it came to light, there was a Senate enquiry
initiated. It won't happen again. The shareholders of RTZ
then demanded the sacking of the top 3 CEOs, but ... get
this ... they in fact remain in place until a replacement is
appointed! The indigenous representatives are calling for
the sacking of the entire Board. But they have actually
committed no crime under Australian law. This is the real
outrage. Someone needs to go to some international court to
make someone pay.

But is /has /shocked people, and the local people have not
even spoken yet. All thee sites need to be placed under
Federal protection as National Parks. It is amazing that
this has not been done before. The sites are all so remote
that they can't be guarded. Tourists can get in their
land-rover and go and graffiti over cave art which is
thousands of years old. It's not just this one area. There
are lots of such sites. So precious. The practice of
employing the local indigenous people are land care workers
is in place in many national parks, but we need more of this
and they need to get technology to help.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!S3wE2Br0yKDvj2IcVGWmUs0dBaoX0c5uBQgtuxWazaNPSEHnNWMOx4gRQFMw1OxxGsjLEg$ >
Home Page <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!S3wE2Br0yKDvj2IcVGWmUs0dBaoX0c5uBQgtuxWazaNPSEHnNWMOx4gRQFMw1OyOZj3O6g$ >