[Xmca-l] Re: a bit of breaking news (the good kind)

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 10 17:33:37 PDT 2020

David-- Your excavation of Vygotsky's pedology is really important in
helping us get a more accurate
picture of LSV's project,.  I am convinced as a result of what I have read
in the pedology literature
so far that LSV was doing pedology as his central line of development. This
not only makes sense internally,
but it explains something that has long puzzled me.  Why did Luria send me
*The Mental Development of Children*
*and the Process of Instruction* (1935), a volume which hides its origins
in pedology. I never hear Luria use either the
word pedology and of course he would not have!  It was a closed topic after
the 1936 Party resolution which still had
people plenty worried in 1962. It was never discussed in my presence.  Now
I can notice the absence. And all the
while Luria and colleagues were dribbling out bits and pieces "from the
archives" to a variety of different disciplinary
journals and collections of essays where the work was clearly relevant
without having to reveal its sources.
They must have done a reasonably good job. They were still alive to educate
me in 1962.

This is a real revisionist reconstruction people can work from.
mike

of