[Xmca-l] Re: Andy Blunden on unit of analysis and Huw on cognition

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Mon Sep 7 17:20:45 PDT 2020

Goodness! Thank you for your kind words, Henry. I feel the
weight of responsibility on my shoulders.

The thing about an interview is that it is not a lecture.
The Q&A format means that it is the unity of two minds.
Evidently, "project" maybe important to me because of my
interest in social theory but that is not where Anthony's
and my mind meet, I guess.

The thing about "project" is that it avoids the ambiguity of
"activity" - do you mean it like "there's a lot of activity
on this list" or "this activity is aimed at making CHAT
accessible." Mass noun or countable noun? Plus I avoid all
the baggage carried by the word "activity" which leads to
people telling me that I don't understand what "activity"
means. Plus "project" really emphasises what is implicit in
"an activity" - that it is driven by an unfolding aim and
has the kind of subjectivity not normally imputed to an
activity, or a group. I don't believe that projects are
guided by "cognition," or at least that this is a useful
lens to understand activity. "Cognition" is something we
analysts abstract from activity. In John Dewey's words: ‘an
experience’ is an ‘original unity’, not a combination: “The
existence of this unity is constituted by a single/quality/
that pervades the entire experience in spite of the
variation of its constituent parts. This unity is neither
emotional, practical, nor intellectual, for these terms name
distinctions that reflection can make within it,”

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!Vy_0-fM1JnXDSWVjL-73cISms5hBR8csLKVmw2-QzFNJ3NCM5QBlQOrW0WMFrJ0oJ6r4tQ$ >
Home Page <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!Vy_0-fM1JnXDSWVjL-73cISms5hBR8csLKVmw2-QzFNJ3NCM5QBlQOrW0WMFrJ3iK4VYyA$ >