[Xmca-l] Re: Science and Passion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:15:48 PDT 2020

Well, I didn't say I liked the paper, Andy. I think that just as
perezhivanie cannot really be treated without some serious discussion of
the temporality of development, the issue of "flagrant partisanship" in
science cannot be treated without mentioning emotion, and I am ready to
acknowledge that you were attempting just that..

I do agree with the comment you made at CHAR on treating Dewey's remark
about partisanship developmentally, i.e. partisanship can be an asset to
science at one moment and a liability to science at another. But I
certainly don't accept that the direction of development is always away
from partisanship and/or emotional commitment. When I consider my own
trajectory through a number of different fields (e.g. linguistics) I find
the situation to be quite the other way around, and I don't think I've
devolved as a linguist.

I think this is why Vygotsky is quite unwilling to commit to sweeping
generalizations about the direction of development of the relationship
between emotion and reason (or, for that matter, thinking and speech, which
do not always tend to merge, contrary to what many people have written and
various schemata available on Google images indicate).

So although I strongly disagree with Anna on a number of issues (e.g.the
significance of Lenin, whether phylogenesis stops with sociogenesis or not,
whether "traditional models of science" uphold the capitalist order,
whether immigration is really in "turmoil"), I guess I am really on her
side in this: science is and inevitably has to be flagrantly partisan, and
flagrant partisanship is directly proportional to the extent a science
looks to the future for empirical confirmation and theoretical affirmation.
To believe otherwise is ahistorical in more ways than one. .

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New article in WORD, journal of the International Linguistic
Association (Volume
66, 2020 - Issue 3)
The problem of articulate animals in Korean child conversation: A
Hallidayan analysis, a Vygotskyan interpretation, and a Hasanian critique
David Kellogg & Seon-mi Song
Pages 149-165 | Published online: 18 Sep 2020

Some free e-prints available at:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/HAHXXJCARIGMTDBWYS9S/full?target=10.1080*00437956.2020.1793498__;Lw!!Mih3wA!RCBfj5odZ1CJnuL09UWYZ7l1CKcb-tsTundUZ4d9h7abZO5i1r4RAHCYfegqSCsO5Wyhbw$