[Xmca-l] Re: keeping eyes open

Diana Arya darya@education.ucsb.edu
Sat Nov 28 09:56:45 PST 2020

Hello all,

Acknowledging the emergence of multiple threads from the original ("why
generations"), I selected this particular thread to build on Antti's
encouragement to invite other voices in reimagining the purposes and
practices of this listserv. I'm currently working on a manuscript that
relates to what we can learn, how we can grow as scholars, when/if we view
reality as the *known unknown. *We need diverse voices/insights/experiences
to understand what's happening to whom, for what purposes and under what
conditions. James Baldwin is a central voice in my piece; the following
excerpt from the 1980 landmark essay *Dark Days *may be relevant to our
discussion:

Every human being born begins to be *civilized* the moment he or she is
born. Since we all arrive here absolutely helpless, with no way of getting
a decent meal or of moving from one place to another without human help
(and human help exacts a human price), there is no way around that. But
this is civilization with a small *c*. Civilization with a large *C* is
something else again. So is education with a small *e* different from
Education with a large E. In the lowercase, education refers to the
relations that actually obtain among human beings. In the uppercase, it
refers to power.      –James Baldwin, *Dark Days*, p.44

Perhaps we can use Baldwin's linguistic marker in making visible the power
distinction of R/research practices. I find that the work of philosopher
Kristie Dotson on what she calls *epistemic oppression* is also relevant.
Who gets to be the *knower, *and who is relegated to making mistakes or
missing intentions? Obviously power plays a role here.

And now that some time has passed, I want to celebrate Arturo's intrepid
engagement with this listserv. We have got to be willing to see *HOW* (not
if) racism is instantiated in our discourse. We have been socialized in a
world that values some groups of others, and such inequities seep into our
languages, discourses, etc. And academia is not immune to racist
ideologies. I believe that the real risk is acknowledging one's blind
spots, and learning to see the world as it is.

What do others think?

Best,

--
*Nothing can be changed until it is faced. *(James Baldwin)

Diana J. Arya, PhD
she/her/hers/they/them/theirs
Associate Professor and Graduate Diversity Officer, Education
Faculty Director, McEnroe Reading and Language Arts Clinic
Gevirtz Graduate School of Education
University of California, Santa Barbara
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cbleducation.org__;!!Mih3wA!SWP2ZnqgUqryJOnGljQ0m8RjinrQROanrP4GpZ_iIiLzaHb7yDYK93TPCNTgFzaPiElt7A$