[Xmca-l] Thanks

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sat Nov 28 07:54:38 PST 2020

Because I fear that xmca may be done for, I want to put on
record what xmca has done for me, while I can.

Back in 1999, I was a 54-year-old Technical Manager at the
University of Melbourne, responsible for maintenance of the
AV equipment in teaching spaces. I was involved in a project
of fitting out some rooms for collaborative learning and
collaborating with some academic staff, and from them I
learnt about Vygotsky. I had heard about him, but never read
him. His books were not available in Australia. I had never
attended a lecture in Psychology or anything, but I wanted
to learn more about Vygotsky. One of the academics suggested
I join xmca. I had never seen a listserv before but I gave
it a go.

I made lot of gaffs in those first days, including letting
it be known that I thought Mike Cole was some kind of bot,
because he always answered my questions so promptly, I
didn't think it could be a real person. And I also told
someone that their paper was "very poor" which I thought was
a normal thing to do. Of course, you don't say such things
on a listserv.

Any way, I have since published books on CHAT and so forth,
and rightly or wrongly I have a reputation. Everything I
learnt has from directly or indirectly from xmca. Without it
I would be nothing. If xmca folds I will understand, but I
will be very sad.

I understand what Zaza so insightfully called the "risk" of
posting to xmca. It never affected me because I never had
any fear of academics. My interactions with them (before
xmca) had been either as their union rep. or helping them
when they were having trouble with their equipment. I never
depended on one of them for my career, and it never really
mattered if I said something wrong. But I get it that it is
not like that for everyone. I don't see anything that could
be done about that riskiness. What attracted me to xmca was
that you could ask a question and the person who wrote the
book might answer you. It was amazing! It's not a friendship
group. It's very diversity has been its importance for me.
Otherwise I would never know people like  Mike, or Martin or
David K(x2) or Beth or Anthony or Carol, ..... all of whom I
now count as friends.

But what can you do? Let's see what the morrow brings.

Thank you xmca.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements