[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: [New post] Why generations?

Maxine McKinney de Royston mckinneyderoyston@wisc.edu
Wed Nov 25 12:31:29 PST 2020

Thank you, Beth, for generously recognizing that we’ve all made the mistake before of having something that was private become unintentionally public.  I wish we would have heeded your call to not respond to the private elements of that email.  I don’t see the collective utility of personalizing its contents.  If anyone feels a specific way about that, Arturo has opened himself up to people contacting him directly.

Thanks, Antti, for noting that this current situation reflects a pattern of marginalization on this listserv rather than an exceptional incident.  I want to take up Arturo’s invitation for further discussion with the hope that our discussions of this incident “will open up new ways for having dialogue in this space” (from Arturo’s email)

I’d like to invite us to discuss the toxicity and marginalization that Arturo points to on this listserv.  As a Black woman based in the United States, I have stayed on this listserv over the years because of my interests in CHAT and sociocultural theories of teaching and learning. However, I rarely post on it because I often find the tone of the interlocuters here to be condescending, patronizing, and othering. For me, this is a sad irony....that the principles of CHAT that many of us study and advance in our scholarly endeavors is not carried through in our interpersonal exchanges on this listserv.  The recent exchange around the video offers a great opportunity to explore these issues.

As analysts, I offer up a quick and dirty artifact through which to mediate our discussion. This is not a full analysis nor are the terms within it perfect; this is what I have constructed in the last 10 minutes. It is also not meant to critique people, rather to surface my interpretation of the interactional exchange and invite your wonderings and noticings.

Initial interaction:

  1.  Andy—frames video
  2.  Arturo—reframes video and the course. Attends to the multiple cultural meanings “putting someone on the spot” might have, with one being implying an adversarial interaction
  3.  Antti—legitimizes Arturo’s reframing of video and course
  4.  Monica—legitimizes Arturo’s reframing of video
  5.  José—offers appreciation for Arturo’s reframing of video and course
  6.  Andy—apologizes for his framing of the video, clarifies his intent, expresses he is “upset,” bids for listserv to return to the video

Re-opening of the interaction:

  1.  Anthony—rejects Andy’s bid to return to the video, delegitimizes Arturo’s reframing of the video, legitimizes Andy’s framing of the video, cites cross-cultural meanings, soothes and affirms Andy, bid
  2.  Beth—rejects Anthony’s cross-cultural framing, re-legitimizes Arturo’s reframing, bids for understanding silencing and harm, legitimizes Andy and Arturo’s contributions, bids for multiple understandings rather than a unified shared understanding
  3.  Arturo—expresses publicly private concerns about silencing, racism, and power dynamics on and off the listserv
  4.  Beth—bids for understanding and to disregard Arturo’s latest turn
  5.  Chuck—expresses interest in the video, does not mention prior conflict, possibly makes a bid for a new exchange?
  6.  Arturo—apologizes for public comments, clarifies their private nature, modifies Beth’s bid for disregarding the email and instead invites public discussions of marginalization and private discussions about private concerns/feelings
  7.  Anthony—rejects Beth’s bid to disregard, rejects Arturo’s bid for private discussion about private concerns/feelings, highlights personal attacks, protects and affirms Andy
  8.  Chuck—confirms their lack of a bid for a new exchange
  9.  Antti—legitimizes Arturo’s bid for public discussions of marginalization
  10. Maxine—takes up Arturo’s (and Antti’s) bid for public discussion, highlights marginalization on listserv

For me, the interactional moves happening here should give us pause.  After some back and forth emails that legitimize Arturo’s reframing about the context and the nature of the video and the exchange, Andy apologies, clarifies his intent, and makes a bid to move on. That bid wasn’t taken up.  Instead, something interesting happens, a bid is made to legitimize and soothe Andy’s feelings about how his framing was understood.  This is interesting to me.  I wonder why this was necessary and why the delegitimizing of Arturo’s reframing had to be part of it.

What do other’s wonder and notice about these interactions?

Best,

Maxine (first name) McKinney de Royston (last name)
Assistant Professor, Curriculum & Instruction
University of Wisconsin- Madison
@profm_de_r
Office hour scheduling:  calendly.com/mckinneyderoyston<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://calendly.com/mckinneyderoyston__;!!Mih3wA!QGKI3OlCAz47DHwCnkchsjQkhvg1xL9UcNdVqhaaOnHCp1Jp-dre-GxaD7suKa6wMmQ2Aw$ >

Co-editor of The Handbook of the Cultural Foundations of Learning<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.routledge.com/Handbook-of-the-Cultural-Foundations-of-Learning/Nasir-Lee-Pea-Royston/p/book/9780415839051__;!!Mih3wA!QGKI3OlCAz47DHwCnkchsjQkhvg1xL9UcNdVqhaaOnHCp1Jp-dre-GxaD7suKa5HR-2f-A$ > (Routledge)