[Xmca-l] Re: ...kind of like guarding Lenin's tomb

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Fri May 29 07:01:25 PDT 2020

Sorry, I neglected the link to what I think is one of the most impressive
projects that Lois has been involved in, the Allstars Project:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://allstars.org/__;!!Mih3wA!QkjU-77lpmDqgQ5M0uKTjdBSHgpGnUia75S5I6QL1XNm2fMacxyYygNM8x2aFkJ7WAFzuQ$

-greg

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:39 AM Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> Lois Holzman has done great work taking the power of "pretend" to older
> kids (high schoolers) with the East Side Institute and her development of
> social therapeutics. I find this to be particularly interesting since most
> Vygotskians tend to focus on younger age kids (as can be seen in all the
> examples mentioned thus far).
>
> Here is her personal page:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://loisholzman.org/__;!!Mih3wA!QkjU-77lpmDqgQ5M0uKTjdBSHgpGnUia75S5I6QL1XNm2fMacxyYygNM8x2aFkIeM1JbCw$
> (Esp. note her book Vygotsky at Work and Play.)
>
> And here is the page of of the East Side Institute:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eastsideinstitute.org/__;!!Mih3wA!QkjU-77lpmDqgQ5M0uKTjdBSHgpGnUia75S5I6QL1XNm2fMacxyYygNM8x2aFkJq269Skw$
>
> Would be great if you could get an interview with her - if you can
> catch her!
>
> -greg
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 5:53 AM Anthony Barra <anthonymbarra@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Mike.  I like this Franklin kid, and I never would've met him
>> without you sharing that chapter.
>>
>> And here, in the closing paragraph, is one great answer to my question
>> about "guarding Lenin's tomb" type activities that likely support
>> development:
>> "Suddenly I recognize the difference between telling a child he must
>> share and saying, 'Pretend you are a boy who knows how to share.'  The
>> first method announces that a child has done something wrong. 'Pretend'
>> disarms and enchants: it suggests heroic possibilities for making changes,
>> just as in the fairy tales."
>>
>> I hope we'll hear more ideas (be they role-playing or anything else) from
>> many others on this listserv.
>>
>> Thanks everyone ~
>> Anthony
>>
>> P.S. I've done a lot of role-playing with middle and high school
>> students, mainly via in-role writing, which they tend to enjoy and succeed
>> at -- but I really can't evaluate it from a development perspective, or
>> more specifically from a development-of-higher-psychological-functions
>> perspective.  Anyhow, a snapshot is here, and it's something that can
>> likely be amended for any age: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/upoxpz__;!!Mih3wA!QkjU-77lpmDqgQ5M0uKTjdBSHgpGnUia75S5I6QL1XNm2fMacxyYygNM8x2aFkIH-ggRZg$
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/upoxpz__;!!Mih3wA!TUH9TLwmfw8pwJ5lHRr3-kPrfEl6T5CLUAQdZ11uTtm67tXMvbgGUy1AZFkuhNIO6Lr5Dw$>
>>

>> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 1:52 PM mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Great question (s), Anthony!
>>>
>>> Of the shiny top of my head I can identify another. This is from Vivian
>>> Paley.
>>> It explicitly answers the question of "is this a once and for all
>>> change, or a bud that sprouted in just this one rare
>>> circumstance."
>>> Attached.