[Xmca-l] ...kind of like guarding Lenin's tomb

Anthony Barra anthonymbarra@gmail.com
Thu May 28 09:50:39 PDT 2020

Dear educators of XMCA -

I think I have a good question this time!  To avoid redundancy, I searched
the archives for answers and found an interesting thread from ten years
ago.  But I still want to ask this here:

What kinds of "guarding Lenin's tomb" type activities have you thought of
and/or used in order to support development?

In this great little 2-minute clip, Mike Cole discusses Manuilenko's
tomb-guarding experiment: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/znnvpz__;!!Mih3wA!QnyDKMmlGuxChw2AzXV_HvcVQlE8oeBivNWuK6vHi8K43tjlH2D14vGQwFlSGpHZ8pMhQA$

One can't help but try to think up other types of games (e.g., the Quiet
Game on long car rides) that can function as cultural tools when the
biological alone aren't cutting it.

On a side note, the short video brought a number of questions to mind for
me, such as:
- where are 'the buds'?
- what are the qualitative reorganizations here?
- why are the buds (e.g, of volition) not yet present for the 3 year-olds,
present for the 5 year-olds, and already flowered for the 8 year-olds?
(ages are approximate, I know)
- how temporary is the 5 year-olds' improved volition? Does it wear off? It
is now 'activated' for good?
- for the 8 year-olds, is volition fully developed for tasks such as
standing still but still in the 'bud' stage for more demanding acts of will?

But those side questions are not the target of this post. Instead, my
question of the day is (I think a fun one):  What kinds of "guarding
Lenin's tomb" type activities have you thought of and/or used in order to
support development?  (Any age or stage or setting will do)

Thank you,

Anthony