[Xmca-l] Re: remote_online learning?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed May 20 16:16:55 PDT 2020

I don't think that photography really replaced painting, nor do I think
that television ever replaced printing. In both cases, there was some
encroachment and then an "involution" (a die-off) where functions
overlapped. For example, we no longer pay for expensive family portraits,
and the number of people who watch Downton Abbey is probably a lot greater
than the number that read Anthony Trollope. But where functions did not
redound (e.g. abstraction in painting and forensics in photography,
advertising in television vs. psychological prose) there was enrichment and
evolution. Crises only become pathological when involution fails to occur,
and when the transitional forms thrown up at critical times become
permanent ones. We cannot make salads from the cotyledons of our lettuce
greens.

I think that pathological tendency is exactly what Mr. Schmidt and his
colleagues are pushing with their attempt to make on-line learning
economically sustainable even when it is not educationally so. Rebecca
Schuman recently pointed out that the expense of online learning to
universities is greater than classroom learning (because it requires you to
pay faculty AND tech support). So you can only turn a profit if you make it
permanent (You have to do what Chairman Mao used to do in the old Peasant
Studies Institute in revolutionary Guangzhou:  "keep the blackboard and
erase the students"). On-line learning in a way presents the OPPOSITE
problem that  photograhy presented to painting and television presented to
printing. Photography is better at "unmediated" presentation than painting,
and television rewards attention rather than concentration. Like
photography and TV, face to face conversation is just a whole lot better at
these.

Much the same may be said about Mr. Schmidt's response to China and South
Korea's response, which is explicitly and avowedly pro-individualism and
implicitly and covertly pro-US imperialist. But whether or not Mr. Schmidt
agrees to it, the Anglo-American approach of preventative-but-not-public
medicine is going to involute, and very quickly too. One example will
suffice. Yesterday KCDC released a report on the "reinfection"
phenomenon--the fact that people who recover will test positive again in a
few months. The Koreans found that this was due to deactivated virus
particles which persist in the body but which are detected by oversensitive
testing. This is REALLY big news--it essentially means that humans as a
species will eventually survive Covid 19 in more or less the way we
prevailed over the Black Death and small pox. But the study was done
here in Korea, and it was publisihed only in Korean; the rest of the world
had to read the abstract.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238/167607__;!!Mih3wA!TRjizV3Qo-rmLP8F-Hy7aO5AtWByRzlq1e7lAjC7euzs3e-_H0HlE9QKv9w1GQ5b_sFBew$

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!TRjizV3Qo-rmLP8F-Hy7aO5AtWByRzlq1e7lAjC7euzs3e-_H0HlE9QKv9w1GQ6IvWMRiA$