[Xmca-l] The architecture of classrooms

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed May 20 15:15:14 PDT 2020

Hello VO's on the XMCA list,

I regret if you tire of my posts, but in light of these Kleinian worries, I wanted to point out one possible area where education innovation has succeeded, albeit under the radar. I am curious to open that up to conversations here.

Namely, what have been the consequences of the placement of tables and chairs in the grade-school classroom.

I know that many say that the millennials are "entitled" and yes, that is a problematic assertion to me, but I have wondered if this might have to do with how millennials may be the first generation of learners who learned in classrooms where tables and chairs were arranged in circles, and/or clusters, and not in regimented the rows and columns that I, and perhaps you, grew up with.

Would this in and of itself create a more social-learning/ Would it foster confidence, team-building, and the kinds of zopeds we hope and pray for (whether formally constructed or not?)

I feel that this generation (millennials) shares more, and is less competitive, and though I may be harmful by speaking too generally (I don't mean to be that), they seem to have some contempt to boomers, as they believe they sold out and are selfish. I do not blame them for saying this, though oddly selfishness is a different shade of "entitlement."

Still I wonder for an educational setting that fostered competition in classrooms where students were punished for sharing answers, or for learning together in the classroom in a playful arc, is it possible this might be rooted with the placement of tables and chairs?

We have before us to compare the models of sage on the stage (boomers) vs the guide on the side (millennials).

Is this too simplistic? Could this be one way millennials have prospered socially, where as a group, boomers cannot?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kind regards,

Annalisa