[Xmca-l] Re: remote_online learning?

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Tue May 19 14:04:47 PDT 2020

Hello Tom,

Thank you for posting the link.

I did finally get around to reading the Klein article, and it is fairly dismal the manner that she outlines the intentions of Mr. Schmidt. That is not to say that she is far from the mark, but we are not just unthinking pods in the matrix, powerless to articulate the way technology is distended into our lives.

I think what bothers me most about the Klein article is the tone. It reinforces through negation a fallacy that technology is inevitable (and resistance is futile). I say this because she presumes this narrative has become the hegemony upon which she reacts. It is far too doomsday.

At the same time, a lot of her concerns are valid. The trawling for power in Washington by Silicon Valley is not unknown to us.

Yet, I also had a real hard time with her juxatposing Schmidt with Bill Gates. Gates is working to do actual good in the world by projects such as the humble toilet in geographic locations without waste treatment facilities, or low water infrastructure (and we might as well include Warren Buffet in that equation, because the lionshare of the funding flowing into the Gates Foundation is from him. Buffet did not make his billions through technology, unless you want to include the telephone).

I happen to know that the Gates Foundation is funding efforts to encourage agricultural developments in places like Columbia to grow coffee to replace illicit crops, in order to scale down the violence that coincides with the drug wars. These efforts are working.

Why does she leave this out of the discussion? That's the general problem I find with Naomi Klein, is the chicken-little-sky-is-falling perspective.

She seems to be similar to those trumpsters who blame the genesis of COVID (if not upon China) upon Gates, as some strange mastermind move to control the world.

Tom, I think it is right and human that you responded to the bleakness of the tone, but that doesn't mean this worldview is correct or accurate. Technology will always be a tool for use. It is not monolithic. There is the off button. We do still have a democracy and processes in place to deliberate the way forward.

As long as humans desire freedom there will always be resistance to control systems, generating a constant search for the chinks in the armor, or other loopholes to squeeze through. People will always use technology in ways that were not anticipated, but just as that can be assertion can be construed as dismal, it can also mean good news, that we always have agency to decide how to use our tools.

Also, one stick in the spokes that was glaring for me is that Mr. Schmidt will never be able to address the laws for mandatory education for disabled children with his goals for flattening the classroom into two-dimensional online learning screens. He will never be able to walk around that law.

So there are many ways this "technology is inevitable" narrative simply does not hold water for me.

I hope this might be a little encouraging.

Kind regards,

Annalisa