[Xmca-l] Re: The notion activity

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Tue May 5 07:39:09 PDT 2020

It is a difficult word to translate when meant in a
philosophical context. There are several issues.

The English word "activity" is very ambiguous, but so are
the German words that it translates to. I'll leave Russian
aside because I am not familiar with Russian.

The sense in which "Activity" is used in CHAT is two-fold.
It means both the general *substance *of human life
(*everything *is activity) and in this sense it is used in
the singular only and without an article. The philosophical
usage is like the common usage when you say "There was a lot
of activity in the City today." The other meaning is used in
either singular and plural and may have articles (the, an,
some, ...) and refers to specific aggregates of actions
which share a common aim. Like "Every action I take while
driving my car is part of the *activity* of driving my car,
i.e. all directed towards the object of safely driving my
car." Every activity has an object (the reason for driving,
perhaps to get my drivers' licence) which differs from the
aim of each individual action making up the activity. An
activity may be composed of actions done by *different
*people. Like the postal service is an activity, but
requires the coordinated action of many different people who
don't even know each other.

As it happens, Marx and Hegel use the opposite German words
for the first and second of these meanings. So one can't be
too picky about choice of word so long as your meaning is
clear and consistent.

Another issue is that there is a tendency in Marxism which
restricts the meaning of "Activity" to "labour." But I
believe that this is a rhetorical gesture which is
irrelevant for Psychology. For the purposes of Psychology
all activity is a labour process and vice versa.

Then people argue about the difference in meaning between
work and labour, to do with whether the labour is
alienated,etc., but I think this distinction is unhelpful.

An activity is a "social practice." What word do you use in
Swedish for a "practice"?

The Svesnka version of Theses on Feuerbach:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.marxists.org/svenska/marx/1845/03-d006.htm__;!!Mih3wA!Uj1AmD5Wx5LyFPLTJCCgWbzfzTLwzMI7nxUBSlmKQFnmwDeTzjkRNYxXDpBB97EzCZfFNg$  seems
to use "verksamhet" for activity, but the meaning is
essentially the same as "praxis."

But take care of the distinction between "an activity" which
has "an object" and "activity" which is a whole mass of
activities, the unit of which is one activity.

Hope that all helps.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!Uj1AmD5Wx5LyFPLTJCCgWbzfzTLwzMI7nxUBSlmKQFnmwDeTzjkRNYxXDpBB97ESyjHenQ$ >