[Xmca-l] Re: As of 2020, the American Century is Over

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri May 1 09:47:07 PDT 2020

Henry
So what is the full statement of what you and Phillip have come to agree
on?  I am old and slow so its hard for me to integrate across
and along threads of the discussion.

The integration/dialogue with figured world theory a la Holland fits
naturally into the kind of chat theory I proposed in Cultural Psych.
Both Dottie and I were influenced by Roy D'Andrade and his students who
were often her co-authors. This line of cognitive anth grew up at UCSD
where script theories met parallel distributed processing systems.

Figurative worlds theory and empirical work can be a super useful lens
through which to see micro and macro, enriching the cultural side of chat's
world view(s).

It sure would be nice to invent some way to allow these years long
conversations to accumulate enough to enable some knowledge accumulation
beyond the text of the moment and the whims of the individual
participants.  A tool for collective reflection.

Certainly there must be some sort of data mining program we could let loose
on the archive (!)

mike

--
Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it... and so are those who do