[Xmca-l] Re: Your views on a question.

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Tue Jun 23 18:36:43 PDT 2020

Casting collective efforts at self-determination as "victim
mentality" or "self pity" has long been a line of right-wing
criticism of progressive movements. Of all people, Paulo
Freire is the last to be guilty of such a sin though; his
pedagogy is aimed specifically, like Myles Horton's, at
stimulating and equipping people from being victims to
self-determination. There is such a thing as a politics of
pity though; it is called philanthropy and charity.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brill.com/view/title/54574__;!!Mih3wA!WCK45j6Y4AscTY1OVN1quxD0_VDKtR1Y9u5SYoUgfTIzhGpvyRCeU6XnFqBCRESHVrtCaw$ >
Home Page <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm__;!!Mih3wA!WCK45j6Y4AscTY1OVN1quxD0_VDKtR1Y9u5SYoUgfTIzhGpvyRCeU6XnFqBCREQ2rLbDLg$ >