[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 13:08:28 PDT 2020

Right, Annalisa--here's the original, from the definitions at the outset of
Chapter III of Ethiika

III. Per affectum intelligo corporis affectiones quibus ipsius corporis
agendi potentia augetur vel minuitur, juvatur vel coercetur et simul harum
affectionum ideas. Si itaque alicujus harum affectionum adæquata possimus
esse causa, tum per affectum actionem intelligo, alias passionem. ("By
emotions, I understand affections of the body which augment or diminish,
enhance or coerce  the potential of a body to act, and at the same time the
ideas of those affections. If of these affections we may be the adequate
cause, I understand by them active emotions, otherwise passive (i.e.
"passions" in the sense of "Passion of the Christ")."

So I remembered it wrong (I thought I had this tattooed--my Latin isn't
what it used to be). Annalisa is essentially right: it's not "or"--it's
"and". And of course because Spinoza is a militant one-worlder, we know
that he's talking about "idea" and "agendi potentia" as two modes of the
same thing: it's a unitary concept and not a complex. Nevertheless, you can
see that LSVs distinction between tools and signs is there in the form of
whether or not the emotion has the self as adequate cause or the
environment.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!QE51vMcQ1OLOEMZScEAYQM4cSPYt3OFR1MGebHoyTHX-9G0RR76PAallN9iL4r98KaXT7w$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!QE51vMcQ1OLOEMZScEAYQM4cSPYt3OFR1MGebHoyTHX-9G0RR76PAallN9iL4r_Zi4Q2iQ$