[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

Peg Griffin, Ph.D. Peg.Griffin@att.net
Fri Jun 19 18:27:00 PDT 2020

It is a Bakhtinian moment!  In fact, I just realized when I read your note that intersectionality and intersectional allies call out for Bakhtin type thinking.

I noticed an unusual pattern developing this week.  While black organizations organized the Juneteenth rallies, marches, teach-ins, demonstrations that occurred all day (and some tomorrow), many different allied organizations used their own text lists and email lists to urge participation of their members and followers in the day’s events. The messages that were sent typically describe the day, give details about a half dozen of the events, and describe how the allied organization’s main purpose is consistent with celebrating Juneteenth because it is tied to achieving racial justice and/or the breakdown of white supremacy.  From local groups (like one formed to get DC voting representation in the House and Senate) to international groups like Amnesty international, from groups focusing on the climate crisis to ones focusing on indigenous peoples and immigrants, from litigation groups like ACLU and SPLC to religious and arts groups and school/uni alumni. I asked anyone I chatted with about the texts/emails/social media they got the Juneteenth events this week and virtually everyone got at least a half dozen from surprising sources.

For me, this is about avoiding “future forgetting,” as you put it, Mike.  What’s that saying about in variability there is hope?  When Planned Parenthood, for instance, is telling people on its e-mail list about Juneteenth celebrations they can participate in, well, what can I say?  Intersectionality and variability and hope, that’s what.

Peg

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2020 12:40 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

Its a Bakhtinian moment, Peg, when when repressed voices bring back a national memory

and the consciousness of a nation (consciousness as humans' relationship to nature and each other) has

undergone a qualitative shift. Will it be papered over by future forgetting? Too soon to tell.

If Juneteenth becomes a national holiday, it would be a very interesting shift in national memorializing and perhaps,

even, race relations.

For those like me who have inherited only a foggy notion of  Juneteenth , the attached link might be helpful.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/*inbox/WhctKJVrDFZHHxRlWkntMlVkVGGMxhnSmgMtqSjmJRWnZRpQjsxLHhpHTlPVtsZRbGvGkBv__;Iw!!Mih3wA!Wk9vHZWX_6-l7ECKZ5Oqr2oIMxtdz_TPVfSgKzQL1muwo87sDE19KsY7vB1bjoeBkoupmQ$  <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mail.google.com/mail/u/0/*inbox/WhctKJVrDFZHHxRlWkntMlVkVGGMxhnSmgMtqSjmJRWnZRpQjsxLHhpHTlPVtsZRbGvGkBv__;Iw!!Mih3wA!URjX7UEtEjKC9GjF4K7CtoTq6JHOljqil1jLajq7UdsEwHQHmq3v1ap9-GQC2cDEuPmgLQ$>

mike