[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 13:40:12 PDT 2020

Iju (my co-author) was a sardonic, even satirical teacher, and her kids,
sixth graders, would feed on, feed back and greatly amplify her critical
attitude to the texts. I remember her presenting a lesson about shopping to
her kids by pointing to herself and telling the kids that she was  a
meandering, browsing, gatherer in the local shopping mall while her
husband, alas, was a hunter who just goes for his kill and then scurries
back to the lair. She then plaintively asked if the kids had time to go
shopping with her, and the kids said something like "Teacher! Crisis! All
bankrupt!". It was true--in the wake of the 2008 stock market collapse, the
local shopping mall had gone out of business. Anyway, knowing her and her
kids, I would not be surprised if the lesson on two boys arm-wrestling
for the right to take a girl to an amusement park was presented to the kids
as a parody of Korean rom-coms or a pastiche of Korean reality TV.

So what Spinoza says about the "passions" is that they are the "affections"
(modes? manners?) of the body which increase or decrease the power of
activity "or the ideas thereof". The word "or" suggests either/or--a kind
of dualism that sits poorly with Spinoza's monism ("Deus Sive
Natura"--"God, in other words, Nature"). One way of elminating that "or"
and the finger of salvation it extends to dualism is simply to replace it
with "and" or "with". .The Edelman version of this is that consciousness
arises from preconcepts in animals which enable learning--the experience
and or along with the experience of having had an experience. He explains
this by re-entrant neurons: neural networks which appear redundant in
animals and even in infants (where the pain that makes the infant cry is
really not easily distinguishable from the experience of having had the
pain) and occur only because neural networks are not parsimonious and do
not evolve to be. These neural networks turn out to be non-redundant as
soon as true concepts arise, and true concepts are defined as being able to
have the experience and to define it in terms of other experiences. Not a
bad definition of "perezhivanie", no?

My Friday classes on Communication tend to be rather like Iju's: I put on a
sardonic, satirical, and somewhat self-deprecating persona and my
students play a lively bunch of wise-cracking gym-rats and self-parodying
mall-rats (and yes, the roles are largely self-cast by sex and by gender).
Yesterday one of the liveiest mall-rats was missing because her grandfather
had died (mourning is taken very seriously here). This was an "affection"
that did not increase the power of the activity of the class body to act,
and some of the usual wise-cracking of the class was obviously a somewhat
forced compensation. But if negative emotion consistently debilitates
rather than facilitates our capacity to act, why does tragedy have so much
more currency in the verbal arts than comedy?  Why, for that matter, is
violence so much more permissible in the visual-illustrative arts than sex?

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!Xf95FeVXta6Ev1a7tffa_sN6YaOIeTDyZ_D88QCnGdqlhAtReA1oY_kMjerse25ZW6viHg$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!Xf95FeVXta6Ev1a7tffa_sN6YaOIeTDyZ_D88QCnGdqlhAtReA1oY_kMjerse25ljFMnRQ$