[Xmca-l] Re: Emotion as "Sputnik"

Peg Griffin, Ph.D. Peg.Griffin@att.net
Fri Jun 19 09:04:02 PDT 2020

Phillip,

Your note on missing voices reminded me of Sandro Duranti once saying that
he had gained ears.

And it seems a propos of a good Juneteenth Day.  So.

Long ago and far away (from me right now at least), before xmca,  even
before xlchc maybe, in two funny temporary buildings in a little grove of a
few trees with occasional ocean breezes and a picnic table and benches,
there were a bunch of what some on the staff called "labbies," with lots of
differences in academic standing, community culture, family race,
nationality, and short and long term motives.  We gathered and gave each
other questions and occasional answers and lots of worrying and enjoying.

Along came Sandro as a post doc.  His family lived in LA and he stayed in
San Diego for several days a week.  After a month or so, he told us about a
party he went to over the weekend when he was back in LA.  As usual there
were lots of local university faculty and students.  He said it felt
different for him, though.  And he had finally pinned down what it was.

He was listening with extra ears - ears from black and brown people who
constituted a large portion of the lab, its taken for granted history, its
day to day goings on.  He heard things that needed to be countered,
challenged, questioned, discussed - things that might have just passed by
before but now seemed to be things that wouldn't be said had he been a
person of color from the Lab.  His extra ears gave him ideas, feelings,
words and motives that he hadn't experienced before.

Sandro is a gifted anthropologist, originally from Italy, with advanced
degrees from the US.  And a dear sweet man.

Peg