[Xmca-l] Re: A contribution of value, I hope

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 05:12:57 PDT 2020

Anthony--

I shared it with my ex-grad. (I am marrying her in the fall--I mean, I'm
marrying her to somebody else; when you are a professor in Korea, you are
often called on to perform the actual ceremony, so long as you haven't had
too many marriages of your own). She is doing a PhD in early years at the
University of Regina in Canada, and she has the usual problem: you can't
just ask questions about what the kids are thinking or saying or even
doing, because the thing you are interested in studying isn't all there
yet. Her super, selected on the same basis as we select people for wedding
ceremonies here in Korea, is a successful questionnaire-and-survey person
and doesn't see this is a problem.

I think Burke's metaphor is really like studying a narwhal by analogy with
a unicorn, or a dinosaur as a kind of Chinese dragon. Burke wants us to
understand something real and concrete like the relationship between lit
and crit simply by thinking of something completely unreal and
impossible--a kind of academic pugilism where there is neither beginning
nor end and nothing is at stake but "tenor". It's interesting that he uses
the word "tenor" to describe seizing the tenets of an argument by
grabbing one side or another rather than grasping the issue as a process
from beginning to end. "Tenor" is the term Halliday uses to mean the
interpersonal back-and-forth of a context as opposed to its
representational or textual qualities.

But doesn't Burke's metaphor really preclude what Nikolai describes so well
in his video? As Nikolai says, you gotta start BEFORE the process is
underway if you want to understand the process as a whole, you need to
grasp it causally and dynamically and not just grab who's in
and out; you need to consider the process as becoming something and not
just  being and being and being. All three of these conditions are
explicitly denied by the Burkean parlor metaphor, aren't they? .

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!Ud9nP0Wfd21IyOKhvifoZ9EITAift85La2K_iFgYk5BCRbGVioK-XSnKy-ifYICj5d1_yg$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!Ud9nP0Wfd21IyOKhvifoZ9EITAift85La2K_iFgYk5BCRbGVioK-XSnKy-ifYICMY966cA$