[Xmca-l] Is this an example of corporate goodness??

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Thu Jun 11 18:17:06 PDT 2020

Hello Xmcars,

This article has me pausing.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/11/microsoft-facial-recognition-police-313611__;!!Mih3wA!XWir6Vg6tZMOi_K32VA-5bdRVSBygkLuButlX-UybtAU5FeAYAHlkyAriuuWuYLicj-Hvw$

Given our recent discussion about technology, this here might be an example where culture pushes back on the inevitability of technology.

Facial recog has always troubled me. It's out of Pandora's box, but if IBM, Microsoft, or Amazon don't sell their technology to US Police departments, won't someone else do it?

Not sure what to make of this, but I wanted to post, if only to help make people aware of coming technology advances and to consider all those kinds of questions, we would likely rather not have to consider!

Kind regards,

Annalisa