[Xmca-l] Re: My Hometown Minneapolis

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 3 16:28:19 PDT 2020

Hi David-

Where have you NOT been!

CulturalPraxis is a work in progress taken on by the MCA editorial board a
few years ago.  After a giant push by Alfredo, a sort of CP2.0 was
announced
on XMCA, but it is by no means intended as the mature facility.  As I
understand it, CP2.0 is intended as a complement to MCA, a medium for
enriching our research and teaching by making room for, and encouraging, a
diversity of voices.

The website was re-started a couple of weeks ago to respond rapidly to the
rapid events that were overtaking us BEFORE covid-19 appeared.
It was designed to be modifiable in the clear recognition that its
functions and conventions are to be worked out by users over time. So,
people should
feel welcome both to make suggestions by writing to
culturalpraxis@ils.uio.no.  As you will see the discussion on the home page
is focused on the covid-19 + inequality + global warming.  Last week racism
"came out" as an incendiary ingredient in the combination of threats to our
social institutions we are all witnessing.

So the hurryup mode of the current iteration of CP reflects the hurry up
mode in which events have rained down on us.
Now the question is, who is going to do the work that comes with taking CP
to the next level?  If you have web design skills and are interested in
volunteering to help, I am pretty sure that the editorial board of MCA will
be very happy to hear from you!

My idea, David, was for someone such as yourself to pull together the
informative reports we collected from around the world of how covid was
affecting xmca members. But that was a couple of weeks ago and the
racial/class explosion of the last week has probably passed it by. Given
how fast events are moving the new CP2.0 has gotten off to a great start.
But how it will develop, and who will join in the process, is a work in
progress. Hopefully it will develop in a manner that opens up the space of
academic communication in a productive way.

mike

The

peerssing the range of toicultural historical
long confronted with the virus of racism,
To be in touch with the Cultural Praxis editors, please write an e-mail to
culturalpraxis@ils.uio.no

--

Crush human humanity out of shape once more, under similar hammers, and it
will twist itself into the same tortured forms. Sow the same seed of