[Xmca-l] Re: The vibrations of consciousness

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:12:32 PDT 2020

Andy's point about consciousness not having any "genera" which we might
"specify" is related to a point I always have when people ask for
definitions. What exactly is this definition for? One rather
Talmudic reason why people like to define terms at the beginning of a
discussion is so we can tell when folks are off topic ("clouds" and
"lithosphere" do not belong to the realm of consciousness,
Annalisa--naughty, naughty, naughly!) Another reason is so that we can
decide whether particular discourses involve metaphor, sleight-of-hand,
demagogery (the use of war rhetoric against a virus; conspiracy theories in
general assume that all human events of consequence are the result of
conscious ill will). But a third reason is so that we can decide where
something comes from and determine the precise moment it starts being what
it is (when does something that is not conscious acquire consciousness?)  I
think you can see that the first reason for defining contradicts the third
one. That is, ruling this or that subject matter off topic will prevent you
from ever finding something that is both not consciousness and
consciousness.

Halliday said that everything around us can be thought of as either matter
or as meaning, and he thought whether matter and meaning are the same
thing was an open question. For me, it is the question that Spinoza
answered. We are anthropo-centric and so we tend to think of meaning as
linguistic, as symbolism, as deliberate representations: making "this"
stand for "that". But of course for most of time meaning-making was not
deliberate in this way: red leaves in fall do not "stand for" winter,
although they certainly came to mean that for hibernating animals, and the
relationship between the physical changes that James and Lange (and Dewey
and Hegel) are talking about are probably related to emotions in the same
way. Meaning is organization; it is the defiance of entropy, and the very
fact that both matter and information have entropy and defy it shows that
Spinoza is right: everything around us can be thought of as either matter
or as meaning, or as increasing or decreasing in entropy. Consciousness is
simply the higest form of meaning-making, the most egregious and obvious
way of flouting the second law of thermodynamics. That is why clouds mean
rain, but in the long run--they don't; that is why the lithosphere means
time, but in the long run it won't.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!QX8A4s_69fPqrKgXcc7ABLWKBuAXO9ymR1-vTutmK9dbsKDeH-iDriK2EMxNudCBwKNwFg$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!QX8A4s_69fPqrKgXcc7ABLWKBuAXO9ymR1-vTutmK9dbsKDeH-iDriK2EMxNudB9vcXqMw$