[Xmca-l] Re: Philosophie des Geistes?

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:28:21 PDT 2020

David,

But what of conatus? Isn't that something innate within all beings?

Kind regards,

Annalisa

P.S. This is likely the shortest post I've made in some lifetimes on this list. ?
________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 3:01 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Philosophie des Geistes?

  [EXTERNAL]

Well, it's not me turning it around, of course. The James-Lange theory is what it is: you perceive something, your viscera or vasomotor muscles respond, and the emotion is the feeling of that happening to you. Lange, at any rate, seems to be thinking of the male sexual response.

I think that's why Dewey says that Hegel's anticipation of the theory is crude. Vygotsky wouldn't (and doesn't) agree that an emotion is "expressed". An emotion is not a mental state of affairs expressed in physiological changes in the viscera/vasomotor muscles or contrariwise a change in the visceral/vascular state of affairs expressed in a mental one. (For that very reason, I think that Vygotsky wouldn't agree with Andy's waving analogy....)

Spinoza uses the term "affect" or "affection" instead. It means more or less what it sounds like: the way in which a body is affected by the environment and vice versa. This can either increase or decrease the potential for a body for activity. The problem is that in order to make this a theory of specifically human emotions, this activity has to include the "activity" of making meanings, and Spinoza can't seem to address THAT issue without slipping into psycho-physical parallelism. (Halliday can, though....)
:
David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!XLfPNqZlEp3rbfPbPAEAAi9vJhjaQ7Od95tECpzoVAu_dEryL7jvzPtcUE89uGpPzbgMaQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!QLEoxL29F3RatvgkaIG1vsUhEgaWkdE-vCDs0vMv8gD5JVN33eCV8_ZTlPUZ5zPbYeeQHQ$>
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!XLfPNqZlEp3rbfPbPAEAAi9vJhjaQ7Od95tECpzoVAu_dEryL7jvzPtcUE89uGpCSpfR3g$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!QLEoxL29F3RatvgkaIG1vsUhEgaWkdE-vCDs0vMv8gD5JVN33eCV8_ZTlPUZ5zOCrzEKFA$>