[Xmca-l] Re: Philosophie des Geistes?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 03:55:46 PDT 2020

Thanks, Andy--this is it!

"In physiology the viscera and the organs are treated merely as parts
subservient to the animal organism; but they form at the same time a
physical system for the expression of mental states, and in this way they
get quite another interpretation."

The only problem is the word "expression". In the James-Lange theory, the
mental states are the expression of the viscera and the organs. But perhaps
that's what Hegel really means here: the viscera and organs are a system
that expresses a state which we interpret as an emotion.

(I remember a dear friend of mine getting a messy divorce and remarking,
when I worried that he was losing a lot of weight, that it wasn't his heart
that was broken but his stomach....)

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!TttD-npmriYNiq_GkGHggjRPJwdnhAwRmpOFFclfTRlXC2fTkBviD-tAkaQPh-R8158beQ$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!TttD-npmriYNiq_GkGHggjRPJwdnhAwRmpOFFclfTRlXC2fTkBviD-tAkaQPh-Q7yWc-iw$