[Xmca-l] Re: Gordon Wells

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Jul 20 11:13:55 PDT 2020

Hello David and VO's

I am having some question about the emphasis on vocalization of words when language includes many contexts that are not just social, but inclusive of environmental, circumstances, putting the weather aside to possibly speak of less polite small talk.

Sure, there is a distinction between who is speaking, who is listening, which David touches upon. Still, there is an emergent quality to language use that seems to be taken for granted. Or is it?

For vegetarians for example the slab of meat in between the bread perhaps might not exactly communicate as intended. And what happens of the bread is moldy or dry?

Instead, I see language (I can't cite a linguist who might have theorized much about it in this way, maybe Bakhtin???), as something more likened to cooking, where sometimes one must be exact about recipes, or one can slap something together without thinking, or one can be experienced enough to know an exact recipe by heart to make great marinara sauce with great aplomb in the kitchen, only to realize there aren't enough tomatoes and one will have to improvise and add some red peppers, which then means seasoning will have to be different, etc. With just as much happenstance in time and space, the meal will be received and enjoyed in as many different ways as it was created and served, repairing to the kitchen for salt when a glass of wine is spilled on the tablecloth.

No one really knows what will come next.

Language in this sense is constantly improvised based upon more than the vocalization of words to convey thoughts, word pairings, etc.

Isn't this why we love to see Romeo and Juliet over and over played by different characters? Because the sets, the lighting, the costumes, the stage, the theater, support Shakespeare's providence of lines we already know by heart, along with the story outcome we already know, played by actors we might know and love because of that wordless quality they deliver to their roles, with facial expressions, intonation, cadence, diction, gesture, and poise. One production differs from another, and there is no one particular way it's supposed to go, because all are interpretations that are equally justified as any other.

"A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose" is a line made up of three words said in a chain of four, but isn't from R&J's "What's in a name? "...that which we call a rose/ By any other name would smell as sweet;" though many might confuse it as Shakespeare's not Stein's, because it seems to say the same thing, though differently.

It's the context, not only the words, not the how, the why, the who, but all of it emerging together at a particular moment in time.

Intro to the intro or not, I do plan to read Jay's introduction just the same. ??

Kind regards,

Annalisa