[Xmca-l] Re: A Gender Gap in CHAT

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Jul 8 13:43:13 PDT 2020

Hi David, and James, and others,

Whatever the consensus is on what is and is not politically correct, what is really perhaps difficult to understand for some, which may even include myself, is what it means to grow up in a gendered community that casts hard-and-fast roles for which an individual does not feel at home adopting for oneself?

In other words, in the scenario that David outlines to using arm-wrestling to win a trophy girlfriend as a learning exercise (in the way that he puts it) what if a boy does not want a girlfriend. What if a girl doesn't want two boys fighting over her.

The narrative of gender is what is problematic in that exercise because it presumes a lot in the way a leading question "And sir, how many times do you beat your wife?"  presumes.

Even if we took the gender out, let's say, to tell two individuals they will complete in an arm wrestle to take a friend to the mall for an ice cream date, let's say, it just is really weird because why couldn't they all go together, why even compete like that?

What is the importance of competing for resources when it is likely better to learn how to negotiate for and to learn how to share resources?

This gendered narrative of two boys fighting for the attentions of a girl is as silly as centuries ago, men getting in suits of armor, mounting horses, and jousting at each other making one or the other a bloody mess, with the winner being seen as some sort of hero and who apparently boosts the gene pool by the killing off of the other, all based upon carrying a stick to knock the other contestant to the floor.

Not sure how such a knight develops into a good father for offspring, nor how arm wrestling produces a more empathetic and curious young person.

Perhaps it's hard to detect influences when we have been immersed for so long in them, making it difficult to detect how they impact our worldviews.

The most subtle *can* have the largest impact.

Kind regards,

Annalisa